Wednesday, June 13, 2007

..but it doesn't look like Honolulu - Part One



If you read my last post you might wonder why I have on a jacket when I am supposed to be in Hawaii. Well, we didn't make it. We fly standby and when we first started looking at the loads a week ago there were seats available...but. I had said I would not turn around and fly back to Tucson and as it turned out we knew before we left Monday morning that we would not make it to Hawaii so we decided to go to London, England. We have never been to Europe so we just packed a little differently. We planned to fly to Atlanta, spend the night and leave for London Tuesday morning. Before we went to sleep Monday night or I should say around midnight we checked the loads to London and surprise - it had changed. Tom was getting a little irritated but I was going with the flow. We thought about Edinburgh - it is one of Delta's new routes and so it looked pretty good. The problem was the hotels there seemed very expensive -- and it was going to be cold, at least colder than London. Neither Tom and I had been north of New York City so we decided on Boston. Now remember we are making all these plans while at the hotel in Atlanta on Mon night - late. We found a hotel - a La Quinta in Andover, Massachusettes, made reservations and made car rental reservations - all over the internet. Yes we both have our laptops with us.


We got up early this morning and drove to Portland, Maine. We got lost trying to find the tour office but we found AAA and stopped there and got maps. It was raining - kind of misty rain - most of the morning. We could have been in Portland, Oregon. Tom took the first picture while we were on the tour. We were at Cape Elizabeth and this is the Portland Head Light, the second oldest lighthouse in the US.



We ate lunch after the tour. I really wanted Maine lobster but instead we ate at Becky's Diner which our tour guide said was a local favorite. We both ordered the special which was Macaroni and cheese with a hot dog - which turned out to be just the weiner.It really was very good and I only ate half of the mac and cheese and then had some pecan pie. For dinner tonight we are having our leftovers from lunch and last nights leftover chicken parmasan.

As we drove back we went on Highway 1 through the small towns. I got excited when I saw the turn for Kennebunkport.



I thought if we just turned east we would find the ocean. We did eventually - I'm not sure what the name of the beach is but here is a picture.




How would you like to live here? This was on our way back from the nameless beach.

More tomorrow.

7 comments:

Beverly said...

man..you are so lucky..how fun! I love that you two are such adventurers!

Candy said...

My husband and I spent the night in Kennebunkport once at a bed and breakfast called Captain Lord's Mansion. It is one of our favorite memories. We were out on the beach at midnight strolling in the sand. It was so fun.

Dina said...

Hi Vonnie,

sorry I have been WAY behind checking your blog, I didn't have a computer for 2 weeks! yuk!! anyway, sorry you couldn't make it here, but you sound like a couple of crazy teenagers flying wherever...WHENEVER!! goood on you!

Anonymous said...

Hmm, did you happen to run into the Bushes while you were in Kennebunkport? :-)

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm away from your blog for a couple of weeks and what news you bring. An impromptu trip to New England in the middle of the - summer?

It looks cold there, girl!

Actually - it sounds like lots of fun, although I don't know that Tom & I could take all of the changing around of the schedule on such short notice. We're adaptable, but I'm not sure THAT adaptable.

In fact, this move into our new house has about done me in with all of the changes going on in our lives and all the work. Wow, it's been hard.

But I enjoy reading about your adventures and look forward to hearing more.

Much love - Dee

P. S. I just heard on Public Radio that President Bush and Russian president Putin were in Kennebunkport this week. Too bad you missed the "prez."

Stoned-Campbell Disciple said...

It is cloudy in Hawaii .....

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine

Matthew said...

loved the ocean pictures, love looking at the ocean, so powerful.