Sunday, October 14, 2007

Disneyland, Birthday etc.

Our trip to California was wonderful. We spent the night in Blythe on the way over and Gila Bend on the way back. When we were younger we could have driven in in one day - but now we try not to drive over 4-6 hours in one day. Friday night our GA family flew in and we picked them up at LAX. We then drove to Fort Mac Arthur to spend the night in Base housing. When my son said we were staying in San Pedro I couldn't imagine what kind of housing because I have never thought of San Pedro as a pretty city. I was wrong. I didn't get a picture of the base but you can see here. Saturday morning we walked around Pt.Fermin Park. I got this picture of a racoon.



After breakfast on Saturday we rode up the hill to Palos Verdes and visited Wayfarer's Chapel. My uncle Jack (deceased) helped build this famous landmark. Here is a picture I took.



I was worried that we wouldn't have time to visit with my cousin on Saturday because she said she had parties both Saturday and Sunday but she said if we arrived at 1:00 she would have an hour before she had to leave for a party at 2:00. She is a caterer. She hadn't seen my kids in a couple of years. Anyway we got there at 1:00 and the party she had on Saturday was for me. What a surprise! All my cousins and most of their families were there. I think I cried for ten minutes. It was truly a surprise.

On Sunday we went to church at Newland St Church of Christ in Garden Grove. One of my dearest friends who is 88 and still drives to church went to lunch with us and then it was off to Disneyland.



As you can see Disneyland is decorated for Halloween. We got there about 2:00 and the kids stayed until it closed at midnight. Tom and I hung in there until about 8:30 and then took a shuttle back to our hotel where we were staying Sat and Sun nights. Disneyland is always fun. I was actually there in 1955 - the year it opened. It is a lot more fun when it is not so crowded but Sunday it was packed. Harrison (grandson) didn't care at all. He had a ball.

On Monday we took our kids to the airport in Orange County to fly home and we spent one more night with my cousin before taking off for Tucson on Tuesday. She and I got to go to a movie on Monday afternoon - The Jane Austin Book Club - which was very good.

I am so lucky to have such a wonderful biological family. If it wasn't for our church family here at Palo Verde I would be very unhappy not living closer to my family in California. Fortunately we are able to travel to see them and our kids in Georgia.

2 comments:

Dina said...

How FUN!! A SURPRISE PARTY!!! AND you only cried for 10 MIN. I woulda been a basket case! Looks like you all had a great time. I remember when I lived in California I went to Palos Verdes to go to "Marineland"....ah, I was in heaven there. Dolphins, seals...I guess ocean animals is where I wanted to live by!!

Anonymous said...

I'm just now catching up with blogging a little bit and wanted to comment on your Disneyland trip. Sounds like lots of fun and a surprise party on top of it! Wow!

I enjoyed looking at your pictures, too, Vonnie.

Drop by Finding Direction sometime!

Cheers & Blessings to you all today! Dee