Friday, April 28, 2006

Babysitting

I am taking a break from my retirement posts to talk about babysitting.

I remember the first time I was allowed to babysit - I couldn't have been much older than 12, maybe even 11. I am an only child so I loved being around younger children - especially since I had already decided to be a teacher. I started with neighborhood kids, then by the time I was 15 I was spending the night at one of my mother's friends house - that was my favorite, because I got paid more.

One summer I worked everyday caring for my cousins. I read a lot, watched American Bandstand and cleaned everything up just before my cousin came home. One day my mother came by unexpectedly and caught me laying (lying?) on the couch, while the kids were outside -doing who knows what, and she wasn't too happy with me.

Today I am babysitting my neighbors' two kids, 3 and 5. It is only for a couple of hours and they are sitting on my bed watching Dumbo. When we go off on a trip, such as our upcoming trip to Hawaii - can't wait to meet Scott - our neighbors reciprocate by watching our dog. We have a poodle - all of 6 pounds - and he is spoiled, of course. He is an indoor dog, so they just come over daily and change his potty pads and check the food level. Do you think dogs are aware of time? I hope not. The longest we have left him is 10 days.

1 comment:

Scott said...

Well, you doggie would PROBABLY rather come to Hawaii - but I'm sure he'll be fine.

Might lick you to death when you get back, though.