Thursday, September 07, 2006

From Food to Texas

Surprize! I actually cooked lunch. We had hamburger patties - cooked in the George Foreman grill, mashed potatoes and gravy, blackeyed peas, and some green peas. Oh yeah and some fried onions. Now I am resting up from all that work - before I clean up the kitchen. We eat out nearly every day - so any time I cook at home is a treat - for Tom anyway, even if it is just hamburger. I don't know why I don't like to cook, besides the obvious - cleaning up. I grew up with my grandmother making homemade biscuits every morning. My mother worked so she only cooked on Sundays. She used to stay home from church and her excuse was that she had to make lunch for my grandparents and me, while we went to church. I hated that she didn't go to church with us -sometimes it was just my grandfather and I, when my grandmother was sick. I remember walking to church with my grandpa and talking about Texas and living on the farm. My grandparents moved to Los Angeles when my mother was a senior in high school, so I wasn't lucky enough to be born in the great state. I always felt like a Texan though, since I grew up on red beans and cornbread. I have one first cousin in San Antonio. She was born in CA also, but stayed in Texas after graduating from ACU. I know I still have some more distant relatives still living there, but we don't keep in touch. Well, this was a rambling post. I guess I better quit procrastinating (another great trait) and go clean up the kitchen.

2 comments:

Greetings From Tucson said...

I hope the clean-up went better than last time - no more cut fingers!
I'm off to the women's retreat in Prescott! Have a good weekend and we'll see you on Sunday.

Beverly said...

I have a friend who says, "If it was cooked in Abilene then it is a home cooked meal!"