Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Good Movies

Over the last week I saw two really good movies. The first one is R rated for language and it is Little Miss Sunshine. If you can stand listening to a lot of vulgarity, the movie itself is excellent. A really great story. Alan Arkin plays the grandfather in a rather unusual family and he is hilarious. Of course he is the one who uses all the bad language.The other movie is Akeelah and the Bee - it is out on video now. I am probably one of the last to see it It is a family film - and what a story. You've got to see this one. I love movies! Oh, I almost forgot I saw The Mermaid Chair on Lifetime. I had not read the book but it had been recommended to me a couple of years ago. I liked this one also.

5 comments:

Reel Fanatic said...

Not being a big fan of most "family" films, I wasn't sure what to expect from Akeelah and the Bee .. It just blew me away .. it was as entertaining as it was instructive, and I think we'll be hearing young Keke Palmer's name on Oscar night

Scott said...

Little Miss Sunshine is one of the best films I've seen in YEARS. But you're right - there's a bit-o-language. What a great message in that film though!

Vonnie said...

reel - wow a comment from a "real" movie critic/fan. How did you find me?

Scott - I should have known you'd like this one.

Greetings From Tucson said...

We watched Akeelah and the Bee last night... what a good movie! We both enjoyed it. I loved the quote she read in Lawrence Fisburn's home... I looked it up on the internet and it is from a poem by Marianne Williamson:
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?
You are a child of God.
Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.
We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone.
And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.
from: a return to love - marianne williamson

Beverly said...

Girlfriend! I loved getting to meet you..just wish we could have done lunch or something..I have a feeling you would be a dose of good medicine..I love you!!