Friday, August 10, 2007

Finally - Hawaii!



We finally made it to Hawaii. If you read my blog you will remember that we tried at Easter and we got to Salt Lake City and we had a seat on the bus, as Tom likes to say, and the flight was canceled. Then in June we were going again and before we even left Tucson we realized we weren't going to get a flight to Hawaii so we went to Atlanta with the intentions of going to London. Well we ended up going to Boston and we really did enjoy that trip.

I don't think I posted about our trip to San Francisco. We did that in July with our kids from Georgia. We stayed at a Coast Guard Temporary housing in Novato. Our son, who is the pilot is also in the Navy reserves so he can stay in these places. It was really nice - a two bedroom apartment. There were wild deer on the property. Novato is about 30 miles north of San Francisco and a great place to stay. My grandson, daughter-in-law and I saw Hairspray on the opening day while we were there.





I can't say enough about our hotel Waikiki Sand Villa We stayed here in January but this time we didn't even make a reservation before we got here because of the chances of not making it. Anyway we booked it online from the airport in Honolulu and when we got here they remembered us and gave us a corner room on the 10th floor. We have this view from one balcony.



and from the other corner balcony you can just see the ocean past the hotels. It is about 3 blocks to the Waikiki beach



Besides the fact that the prices are reasonable (a little higher than in January) the most scary but miraculous thing happened. Yesterday when we went to the beach we left Tom's wallet with both our ids and credit cards, cash, his cell phone and my ipod in a safe in the room. As we were walking back from the beach Tom asked me if I locked the safe. I said "No" did you? Well...
We got back to the room and even though the maid had cleaned up our open safe was untouched. We saw the maid in the hall and she told us she had called down for security to check it out. I thanked her profusely for being an honest person.

We are going home tomorrow night because I have taken a long term sub position for a special education classroom at the elementary school where I usually sub. I didn't find out until Monday afternoon and we left Wed morning. I told them I couldn't be there for teachers first day on Friday. Our flight is an overnight flight - through San Francisco, then to SLC and finally by Sunday night we will be home. All the flights look good except the one to Tucson from Salt Lake, so worst case scenario is we will spend the night in SLC and come home Monday morning, also a teacher workday. Students show up on Tuesday. The school knows I may not be there until noon on Monday. I might tell you more about getting my room ready on Tuesday but my power on my laptop is getting low. we don't have wi-fi in the room but we do by the pool - where I have been eating breakfast and writing this. Dina, if you are reading this, I plan to call you today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vonnie -

I enjoyed reading about your Hawaii trip and seeing the pictures. Sounds like a lot of fun. And I'm sure glad all of your valuables were safe in your room. That's wonderful!

Look forward to hearing more about your trip and all when you have time. Sounds like you're going to be really tied up for a while subbing.

Good luck on that.

Dee

Stoned-Campbell Disciple said...

So that's why you were not in class, :-)

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine

Beverly said...

luckeeee...