Monday, August 20, 2007

Home and Tired

We had to stay an extra night in Hononlulu because we couldn't get a plane out on Sat night. We left Sunday night at 11:00, flew to San Francsisco, took the BART to Oakland, flew to Salt Lake City and got the last flight to Tucson on Monday night - getting home at 11:00 PM. School started Tuesday and I don't remember being as tired as I was every afternoon last week. This morning I was at the Y at 5:30 and swam 350 yards in twenty minutes. I do think it gave me more energy today. Oh yeah, one other minor detail - my classroom is one of three in the school with no air conditioning. It is broken and they are hoping it will be fixed this week. You know how hot it is in Tucson right now? We spent about twenty minutes in the hall, which has air after lunch and then we went to the cafeteria where it has air to work on math. I have 12 students, 3rd to fifth grade and three aides. Two boys have autism and they each have a one on one aide, then there is the classroom aide, who is a man. We are doing pretty good for one day of preparation before school started. I hope to make 16 days because then I start making $50 more a day and it is retroactive back to the first day. I've got to pay for the Hawaii trip, you know. My own goal is to make it nine weeks and I hope they have found a teacher by then. I do enjoy having my own class compared to being a substitute and I love the kids already but I'm not sure how long my body can take it.

This afternoon our LIFE group had a birthday party at a Mexican restaurant for Lois who was eighty something and Bobby V who will be 39 on Saturday. We had a good meal and a delicious chocolate cake - from Costco. What? You thought I would bake a cake? Yeah right! The people at the restaurant were so nice we left half the cake for the staff.

Guess I better quit blogging and plan for tomorrow. One day at a time. Pray for me.

5 comments:

Beverly said...

Vonnie, have a great year. Those kids are blessed to have you!

Anonymous said...

Vonnie -

I'm glad you're safely home and doing as well as you are. I cannot begin to imagine teaching in Tucson with no A/C, though. Good grief!

Hope you'll last the nine weeks!

Dee

Candy said...

You amaze me. And I am praying for you right now.

Anonymous said...

What a tragedy to have to stay in Hawaii an extra day! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Been missing you, Vonnie. Hope all is well and that you're having a good school year, so far.

Miss you around the blogs. Especially miss your posts about your trips and your comments over at Finding Direction: The Wind Vane Chronicles.

Much love,

Dee