Wednesday, January 21, 2009

More Books and a Movie

Since I last wrote I have completed two books and today I saw "Marley and Me". I'll start with the movie. I cried. I was told I would cry but that didn't stop me. I love dogs and I have owned 9 dogs - ten if you count the only dog I had growing up. Most were shelter dogs and the two poodles of the three poodles were purchased. The most dogs we've owned at one time was three and now we just have one. I hope I always have a dog. Our preacher says there will be dogs in heaven and I believe he is right.

I just completed Change of Heart by Jody Picoult. My friend Sandy recommended this author and I have read 4 of her books now. They all leave you with something to think about. This one deals with the death penalty and also talks about the gnostic gospels, which if it weren't for Bobby Valentine I wouldn't know anything about. The gnostic gospels not capital or capitol punishment.

I read more fiction than non-fiction but I am trying to balance it out more. I also finished re-reading Renewing God's People by Gary Holloway and Douglas Foster. This goes along with our Sunday morning class on Discovering our Roots. Next I am going to reread Phillips Yancy's book "Whats so Amazing About Grace" because that is the topic of our Tuesday morning Ladies class taught by "guess who"- Bobby Valentine. If you are reading this Bobby skip the next line. I think BV is the best Bible teacher and preacher that I have ever had the privilege of listening to and I have heard a lot in 66 years. And it's not just because he thinks dogs will be in heaven.

2 comments:

Stoned-Campbell Disciple said...

You are very kind Vonnie. But I thank you and love you and Tom too.

Greetings From Tucson said...

I am also currently reading Yancy's "What's So Amazing About Grace?" I think you will like it and be blessed by reading it.
Next I'm going to read a book by Barbara Kingsolver - "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle - A Year of Food Life." Both of my daughters read it but are vegetarians (We'll see what happens after I read it!). Although this book is non-fiction, Kingsolver has written other fictional books you might enjoy, such as The Bean Trees, Animal Dreams, and The Poisonwood Bible. She used to live in Tucson. Happy Reading!