Monday, May 29, 2006

Memorial Day

When I was teaching I must admit that Memorial Day meant a three day weekend. It usually didn't mean going anywhere, since my husband hates to drive over holidays. But it did mean a day off from the routine. Now that I am retired every day is a holiday, so on this special holiday I can reflect on what this day is really for.

My husband served in the Navy as a hospital corpsman. He joined the Navy to see the world, but saw San Diego. He is from Georgia, so I guess San Diego was a little farther. I met him when he was in hospital corpsman school, through a guy I had been dating. We got married less than a year after we met. By then he was stationed at Camp Pendleton at the Hospital. He was in the service from 1960-1964, between the Korean conflict (war) and Vietnam. He never saw a ship or a foreign country - but he did meet me.

My oldest son served in the Air Force and was stationed in Turkey, and again no conflict. He is now in the Navy Reserves.

My Uncle Marion served during WWll, but came home safe, so no one in my family died during any wars - at least that I know of.

I feel proud that members of my family have served their country, but even more blessed that I didn't lose anyone My heart goes out today for those of you that have lost family members in conflict.

1 comment:

Beverly said...

As you should feel proud.