Monday, May 22, 2006

What's In A Name

Have you noticed some of the different names that movie stars are naming their babies? I can't remember what Tom Cruise named his baby except that it was a Hebrew name. Was it Suri? I think Gwyneth Paltrow named her baby Apple. I would always think of my computer with that name.

I was named after two special people and given my nickname after another friend of my mother's. My first name is Marian and I was a fourth generation -the rest being Marion, since they were men. My great-grandfather or maybe great-great, my grandpa and my uncle. My middle name is Lavon, named after Lavon Staggers who was my mother's friend growing up in Sherman, Texas. Lavon died when she was young. Now for some reason my mother called me Vonnie - another one of my mother's friends. I went to school in Los Angeles and at that time you could not go by a nickname, so I went by Lavon. Whenever I get mail addressed to Lavon I know it is from someone I went to school with. I am now Vonnie to most people and that is the name I am the most comfortable with. BTW I know I just finished two sentences with prepositions, but I don't care! I love being named after people who were special to my mother, although when I was young I wished I was Mary or Linda or anything more common at that time. But now I am happy to be Marian Lavon (Vonnie). Were you named after anyone special?

3 comments:

Greetings From Tucson said...

Marian?
Marian LaVon?
I would have never known... although you do kinda remind me of Marian the Mom from Happy Days.
: - )
You will always be Vonnie to me.

I was supposed to be named Diane, but at the last minute ended up Sandra. My dad still affectionately calls me Sandunes.

Scott said...

"This is the sort of English up with which I will not put."

I am forced to go by my middle name as well. My first initial is J, and I always sign and write my name with the first initial.

When people see it, they always ask me what the J stands for...and I always respond, "Jenius."

Beverly said...

I was named after my mom's high school buddy she use to get in trouble with..well..it fits!!