Saturday, August 12, 2006

Shall We Dance

I just got home from the first Church of Christ wedding that had a dance. The ceremony was held at church and the choice of music was beautiful - all classical, including the Wedding March. It was taped music. Then the wedding reception was held in a Lutheran church across the street. Someone recently wrote on their blog, I think it was Greg England that white Church of Christ dancing was something else. He is right. All in all it was fun.

My wedding was 45 years ago last Sunday. We got married at Vermont Ave Church of Christ, in Los Angeles CA. This was the church where I grew up. It was by the old Pepperdine campus. We were able to bring in an organ and my piano teacher played for us. I don't remember any of the music, except the Wedding March. We had our reception of cake, mints, punch, etc. in the fellowship hall - no dancing. I honestly don't remember much about the wedding, but we planned it in 2 months. Tom and I met in October of 1960, when I was a Freshman at Pepperdine. He was in the Navy and stationed in San Diego. We met through a guy I was dating, who reminded me of Gomer Pyle. As soon as I met Tom, George (Gomer) was out of the picture. Did I mention that George was good looking, tall and blond, but oh, that Alabama accent! Tom and I started "going steady" after knowing each other 2 weeks. He started asking me to marry him in Jan and I said "yes" in March. We originally planned to wait until Tom was out of the service and I graduated from Pepperdine, which would put our wedding date in 1964. By the time I had my engagement ring in June and we decided to marry in August. When we told my mother, she cried. It was not that she didn't like Tom but she really wanted me to finish college. She adjusted and I did graduate -in 1967 from West Georgia College in Carrollton, GA, which was Tom's hometown. I love weddings.

3 comments:

Scott said...

Dancing is a sin, though - didn't they get the memo??? ;-)

Greetings From Tucson said...

Congratulations on your 45th anniversary! Did you and Tom dance?

Greetings From Tucson said...

Do you plan to blog again?