Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Christmas is Coming

When I was little all Christmases were at my house because my mother and I lived with my grandparents. I was an only child but my mother was the youngest of seven and all her brothers and sisters and my cousins would come home to Grandma and Grandpa's house in Los Angeles - my Texas aunt and uncle came some years. Anyway we would open one present on Christmas Eve and then Christmas morning Santa Claus would leave unwrapped presents - all for me of course. We were not wealthy, my mother worked for Bank of America (she became one of the first women officers in the late 60's - before that only men could be a bank officer).The point is that we didn't have a lot of money, but I always made out real good at Christmas. Several years ago one of my aunt's told me the story how her daughters (my age) wondered why Santa always left me more toys than he did them. She told them it was because I didn't have a brother or sister to play with, unlike them who had each other. I think that is a neat thing to have said - although I'm not sure they bought it.

I am now the oldest living member of my blood relatives so I guess that makes me the Matriarch of the Davis Clan (My mother's maiden name). It wouldn't be much of a clan if my cousins hadn't had children - and grandchildren and great granchildren. I have one cousin in San Antonio and one cousin's grandaughter and her three sons live in Maryland, but the rest live in Southern CA. One of my sons and daughter-in-law and grandson live in GA and the other one is with us. I say all that to say that we will not all be together at Christmas and that makes me sad. The majority of them will be together in Orange County CA and will be eating at my cousin's house who is a caterer and a wonderful one. Everyone chips in with the food, but Rhonda's house will be decorated to the nth degree and the presentation is always beautiful. We didn't go to CA last Christmas either but we went to New York and we did see the cousin with the three kids (only the twins last year) in MD but Tom was sick and we didn't even go to Church on Christmas Day. Of course going to NYC over Christmas time was special.

So what am I doing Christmas Day? Probably cooking something for 3 people. I am NOT going to do turkey. Do you have any suggestions? I am posting a picture of my pathetic tree - top doesn't show - with Murphy. He wore that Christmas T-shirt for about two hours and thought it was in a restraint and wouldn't walk in it. We put it on him to take the picture and our Monday afternoon LIFE group got to see him in it. Don't forget to give me suggestions for Christmas Dinner.




4 comments:

Lucas said...

Puppy glam shots! Woo! Our tree is decorated only on the top, due to the tall puppy who is taking the decorations off and walking away with them...

Beverly said...

so hilarious..poor little dog..you know though it seems poodles can handle that foo foo stuff!

Chicken spaghetti!

Dina said...

nice story. I'm sorry you all can't be together for xmas, but make the most of the family that IS together!!

Lets see...I'm trying to figure out what to cook too....maybe a PRIME RIB??!!! Ham?? or go way the other way and make a FISH DINNER!!! I have a salmon wasabi dish that is BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Ham? Chicken?