Friday, July 21, 2006

Categories

First you were either liberal or conservative, then progressive or not, now I've found out we actually can divide into six categories. I just recently read Joe Beam's article in Grace Centered Magazine. You can find it online at www.gracecentered.com/
(I still can't make this a link) Look in the archives for the article, "What's Happening to churches of Christ" by Joe Beam. I understand this was written awhile ago, not sure how long, and many of you may have read it, but it was new to me. I found it very fascinating and I believe I know people in all the categories. We recently had our preacher leave and one of the reasons he stated was our congregation was too diverse. Maybe he felt he couldn't connect with the extremes. How about you - where do you fall? Where does your church fall? Is it important to you? BTW I think I identify with the Open category - which is not how I grew up. I am not sure where our church is - I think we have them all, except hopefully not the exasperated. I would say I grew up as a Zealot. In the fifties was there anything else?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comments and thoughts I really appreciate it.

I once saw a test for the tablet of where one fell on the "church" radar. I remember that I fell somewhere in the middle. I have to see if I can find it and I will let you know.

Peace
Jeremy

Anonymous said...

You can find those tests on the site called:

www.belief.net

jeremy

Anonymous said...

ooopss

www.beliefnet.com

that should do it.

Greetings From Tucson said...

Hi Vonnie,
Here is the exact link to the article you mentioned:
http://www.gracecentered.com/what_is_happening_to_churches_of_Christ.htm
Interesting! I want to read some of the other authors... one of whom used to be a minister at a church we attended in the early 80s.

Greetings From Tucson said...

Okay, that "paste" didn't work at all!
When you click on Joe Beam's articles, it is referenced as What is Happening?
Interesting post.

Scott said...

I think there needs to be a catagory just for me - the Scott category.