Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Weather

We just got home from IHOP - our usual meal Wed nights after church. It is so cold tonight, I just put a blanket on my bed. I usually just sleep with a comforter, and not a very warm one. Yes, winter has come to Tucson. At least for the next few days. I think it is supposed to be in the 30's tonight. Of course next week it might be warm again. I kind of like being able to wear a sweater - or tonight, a jacket.

Yesterday I subbed for a resource teacher - which is the job I held for the last fifteen years of my teaching career. At this particular elementary school - which is the only one I sub at - I saw a total of about 15 students, ranging from 2nd grade to 5th. I saw them in groups of two to one group of 6. When I retired I had about 30 students in my program and had 3 large groups in the morning and a group a little smaller after lunch. Our school went through sixth grade. The resource program is a part of special education. It is for students with learning disabilities that are not so severe that they need a full day or self-contained classroom program. The goal of the program is to try to get the student's skills up enough to not need the program - so general education teachers work hard to get a student qualified for special education then it was my job to get them out. Some students will always need that extra help, but some don't. We had a teacher once that had been in a resource program when she was in elementary school - but both of her parents were teachers. One of my former students is now a department manager in a Target store. The stories do not all have happy endings - one student that I had had from 3rd to 6th grade was killed when he was in high school by a gang member - he was taking a date home and was in the wrong part of town. Another student who I only had one year- the one year I wanted to teach in high school (big mistake)- was arrested for killing a boy who had supposedly stolen his girlfriend. This happened after he had graduated from high school. I don't know what the outcome was. I do know that he was very hard to like. He was surly and I always felt he was capable of more. Yesterday for the first time I really missed teaching - but not enough to go back full time.

Tomorrow is dentist day - only a cleaning, thank goodness. I have crooked teeth, but they are strong. Well I think I will read a few blogs and go to sleep.

9 comments:

Candy said...

Vonnie - it's snowing in Abilene!!! It's so fun!

Vonnie said...

It's just plain "cold" here. I'm off to the dentist.

Beverly said...

yeah yeah yeah..okay...WHO'S YOUR NEW PREACHER?

Anonymous said...

Oh, but overall, AN UPLIFTING POST...

Vonnie said...

Bev,
I am so sorry I can't tell yet. He is announcing it to his congregation Sunday and then I told him he could "come out" on my blog.

Beverly said...

vonnie..you are killing me "come out"...?

now where did you hear the scott rumor?

Vonnie said...

Bev,
I made it up.

Beverly said...

ummm..or did you?

Stoned-Campbell Disciple said...

It was 8 degrees as I woke this morning. It warmed to 10 for the trip to worship and finally hit 19 ... I think it is on the down trend again because the sun is about gone.

Thank goodness for fireplaces, hot chocolate.

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine