Thursday, January 25, 2007

Fears

Recently a friend of ours had surgery and we found out that he has a fear of having his blood pressure taken. I have been on medication for hypertension since I was 38 years old and know that sometimes my blood pressure would be high if I was anxious about it, but most of the time it has become routine. This man really has a phobia about it. My husband has a fear of heights and yet it doesn't bother him to fly. I love watching Monk because it is so funny, yet it is so sad to live with so many fears.

I have one fear and that is singing in a quartet setting getting ready to qualify for competition. Sweet Adelines is made up of choruses and quartets. At competition one day is set aside for quartet competition and one for the chorus. I am a CHORUS singer and not a quartet singer but before we can go to retreat next month (a weekend of coaching) each member of the chorus has to sing her part in a quartet. Now the other members of the quartet are section leaders so at least you are not singing with 3 other nervous non-quartet singers. You do this by going to someone's house along with 20 or so other people who have the privilege to listen while you sing. There are other people who have this fear so it can be difficult listening to them go through it. Of course not everyone gets as nervous as I do and maybe some people actually enjoy it - but not me. This is coming up for me next Monday night. The first group goes tonight and then there are three other nights set up. I wanted to go last but one of my friends who is a section leader encouraged me not to wait so I would have time to work on it if I mess up. Last year I passed both songs - an uptune and a ballad the first time I tried but we are singing the same two songs this year and I have changed parts - from lead to bass so I have the additional fear that I will switch back to lead in the middle of the song. I know the best way to conquer a fear is to do it but I don't really have anyone with whom I can practice singing this way. Please pray that I won't be too nervous. Do you have any fears?

1 comment:

C D said...

Just know that it is okay. The world won't stop turning, the sky won't open up and flames start shooting from the sky should you start to sing lead. You will be fine. Take heart that you know you are not alone, and everyone has to go through it :D.

I went to see "Altar Boyz" last night.

Oh.
My.
Stars.

It was hysterical... and my pal who was raised Catholic was cackling she was laughing so hard... soooo funny!!

Mom's planning to come down early Sunday morning (28th) and go to PV... look for her.

I fear pain.