Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Home, Tired and Cold

The trip to Hawaii went too quickly. I could only find one downside of living in Hawaii. I would have to give up drinking milk. It is only $8.79 a gallon. Yikes!! My son and I go through almost a gallon in one day.

Sunday was our last day and we went to church at Honolulu Church of Christ to hear the infamous Scott Self. Thank goodness he is a good preacher because look at the view we had from our pew.



We wanted proof that we actually were at church with Scott so we ask a sweet older lady to take our picture.




Then we ask another person to take the picture.





We tried to talk Scott into lunch but he is so popular he already had a lunch engagement. Be sure before you go to see Scott you make reservations for lunch with him. (Just kidding Scott)

After church we changed clothes in the church bathroom and went on another drving tour. We are glad we rented a car this time. They say you can't get lost in Oahu - because the road is a circle. However this is more than one road and when we went to the airport Sunday night we drove up to the gate at Hickham Air Force Base and I ask sweetly, "Is this the airport?"
The kind young airman directed us to the U-turn.

Anyway on to our afternoon. We drove up diamond head to a lookout point - no we didn't hike to the top. By this time I was getting hungry so we had lunch at Hanauma Bay. This is a great place for snorkling - but we are saving that for next time. Here is a picture of the bay and then one of Tom, eating a $12.00 hamburger - oh, that included a drink and fries. Hint, stop at the McDonalds on the highway before you get there.







After lunch we drove a little further to the Waimanalo Beach Park. This beach was practically secluded compared to Waikiki Beach. The only problem was that after I got out of the water the sun went under a cloud and I had to drive back to the hotel wet. Thank goodness for the hospitality room at the hotel. We cleaned up, repacked a little and left for the airport. After our side trip to the base we got our car back and we were at the airport by 8:00 - for an 11:30 flight. We flew back to Salt Lake City and then to Phoenix where our son picked us up. We missed the snow, yes you heard right - it snowed Sunday night in Tucson. By the time we got home Mon afternoon most of it was gone but we did have a little patch left in our backyard.

If you are still reading this you have the privilege of seeing me in a bathing suit. Aloha

12 comments:

Beverly said...

that water is such a beautiful color and what's up with everybody wearing hawaiian shirts to church..

thanks, vonnie, for a wonderful trip..I enjoyed it!

Dina said...

Vonnie, I'm glad you guys got more sightseeing in..I looooove the picture with your faces cut out by the "little old lady" I laughed soo hard. I thought of you guys today because I heard it was snowing at home. I said what a difference!!

Beverly- watch some of the old "Magnum P.I." reruns... In Hawaii peoples idea of "dressing up is putting on a nice Hawaiian shirt with choice of shorts/pants. you'll never see much more of anything else. Our dress code is wayy different than "America" as Alika calls it...haha

Scott said...

"Birds all along the sunlight at dawn, singin Waimanalo blues."

I love love LOVE that beach. And I love Waimanalo town.

I noticed Kinji snuck into the picture of us - my next post is precisely about him. I may borrow that pic for the post.

Lucas said...

HAHA! I love the picture double-take. When we went to Alcatraz in '97, I took a picture of my brother looking off the boat, with Alcatraz in the distance; VERY nice picture. HE took a picture of me looking off the boat, and 3/4 of the picture was ugly boat, and took the liberty of including NOOO alcatraz. Man, I wish we had digital!!

Candy said...

Thanks for sharing vonnie. It was indeed a fun trip. I love that you guys just up and did that. But the one thing I'm most jealous of is that you got to meet Dina and Tiki. I would love to get my hands on them.

Cole said...

Thanks for the Hawaii musings, Vonnie. Indeed, your photo in the water is one foxy mama!!

Is Scott growing a soul patch?

Vonnie said...

I'm glad you guys enjoyed sharing with me. I was thinking as I was posting all those pictures what a long way we have come in sharing vacation pictures. Usually we think we will show our vacation pictures if we can talk anyone to coming over and looking, which we never do.

Cole, yes Scott is growing something on his chin - I didn't know it had a name. He has lost a lot of weight and he got a haircut between the time we went to lunch and Sunday. It was really short!

Scott said...

I HAVE GROWN (perfect tense) a soul-patch. Never heard it called that either.

Can't wait until I have hair on my head again. Sheesh.

Greetings From Tucson said...

Vonnie,
Your pictures are great - I especially loved the one of you, Tom and Scott at church, taken minus your heads. What a memory!
So glad you had a good time. I've got to get our snorkeling pictures developed so we can look at the fish! See you next week!

Red Berry Collections said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
James said...

Man, I love Hawaii. It's been about 16 months since I was there and I'd go back in a minute!

Is this the same Vonnie that posted on the AOL message boards?

James @ Real Good Thing!

Vonnie said...

Hi James,
Thanks for droping by my blog. No, I never posted on an AOL message board.