Monday, October 02, 2006

Frustration

Our afternoon LIFE group just left and I am feeling a little frustrated. You know how I am the oldest blogger in at least one circle, well I am the youngest member of our LIFE group. We have one couple who comes that are not members of the coc. The wife is Christian Missionary alliance and dresses very much like an Amish and the husband is Baptist. The wife never talks during group time. Anyway we were studying Peter's sermon on the day of Pentecost and that went fine, but somehow we got off on instrumental music. You may think this is not an issue, but for the people in this life group, except for the non-coc couple and me, and maybe Tom, it is. I showed them the book, The Other Side of the Keyboard by Milton Jones and offered to let anyone borrow it. No one did. I really don't want to argue, but I wish we could just discuss it without someone saying that it is not in the NT therefore we can't have it and that's it. End of discussion. Tom told me he wished I would just keep my mouth shut, even though I was not the one who brought it up - I naturally jumped in. I prefer accapella music, but I believe it is not a sin to worship with instrumental music. The frustrating thing about this is that there are topics that I would love to discuss, not just about instrumental music, but women's roles, pattern theology, grace, and I don't feel I have an outlet for these. Maybe that is why I enjoy reading blogs from so many younger people - they talk about anything, and a lot of times it makes more sense than the typical Sunday school class, or Wed night class.

8 comments:

Beverly said...

I love you..I love you...I love you! I know its frustrating not to just be able to talk about it..Hang in there girl!!

Greetings From Tucson said...

I can understand how frustrated you must feel. You are invited to our life group - we do discuss various topics and multiple viewpoints are shared. I think we are good about listening, discussing, and even agreeing to disagree, in love. Last night we talked about prayer... but started our ice breaker by discussing whether we were in the "in-crowd" or the "out-crowd" while in school. This led to an interesting discussion on the "in-crowd vs out-crowd" present (unfortunately) in most churches. You and Tom are welcome anytime.
We enjoyed lunch yesterday too! Maybe we can discuss things when we go out to eat!

Scott said...

Isn't it frustrating that you can be reading Peter's sermon in Acts 2 and someone has to bring THAT passage around to music? Gimme a break.

And you're SO right - there is a real sense that these things can't even be discussed (I mean rationally).

Of course, I have learned that thought police pervade the blogs as well - I have already taken hits for things I've said there (and I'm NOT talking about the post where my towels smelled badly).

Tell not-Joe that I said "Hi"

Vonnie said...

Bev. Sandy and Scott - Thanks for the encouragement.

Jim V said...

The more convinced a person is that they are right, the more likely it is that they've simply blocked out all the indicators that they're wrong.

There are two possible options here. You've either been placed in this group to bring light to it, and your challenge from God is figuring out how to do that.

Or it's time for a new group.

The 11th Commandment: Thou shalt not be a curmudgeon who thinks you've got it all figured out to the extent you refuse to discuss otherwise.

Jim V said...

Oh, and by the way, in the interest of full disclosure I should point out that I am not entirely neutral on the whole "group" thing.

It took about two weeks into law school for me and everyone around me to realize that I was not built for group study. My mother was determined to raise a fiercely independant son. It worked.

C D said...

I found you!!

C D said...

and now to respond to your post ~ I think I would have grown intolerable if I'd grown up in a church that had 'performances' -- the coC has kept me humble. I love my tradition. But that is what I also believe, that it is beautiful history, and one that I don't want to lose.

It is funny how we pick and choose what parts of the Old Testament we quote -- parts of the OT had trumpets and drums... yet we don't seem to talk about that much. That always confused me a little I'm sure there are logic issues with my thoughts ~ I'm definitely not a scholar :laugh!!:...

Did you know the Amish "singing" has one leader, and they kind of chant in unison following the leader. They consider harmony to be vain.

I think God looks at our hearts as we are worshipping Him -- and I understand your frustration(s).

Fun tonight!! See you in a couple weeks (Vegas Here I Come!!)