Wednesday, October 04, 2006

I Subbed Today

You may or may not remember that I couldn't make up my mind if I was going to substitute teach this year or not. I hadn't subbed since last October. I signed up this year and then made myself unavailable. This morning at 8:00 I got a call from a school secretary at the Elem school I like. The Special Ed teacher for the 4th and 5th graders was going home. I said I would come in and now I have made myself available for that school only, with the understanding that I won't work more than 2 nor 3 days a week. We had an interesting day. Even though I knew some of the students when I subbed in their primary class their day was still different and most Sp Ed students don't deal well with any change. Just after we came in from recess where one of the boys had been given a time out that boy went off, and started beating up on the girl sitting next to him. While the two aides in the room eventually got him out of the class and to the office, but not until he had spouted a lot of obscenities I was wrapping my arms around the girl while she just bawled. The other students sat with their fingers in their ears. He had to spend lunch recess inside with another teacher and after lunch he was fine. He also apologized to everyone and shook our hands. After school the aides and I were talking to the Primary Sp Ed teacher and she was even surprised that this particular student had a problem. According to one of the aides - "This was a bizarre day". You might think I would not want to go back but I absolutely will, if the teacher is out again tomorrow. General education is so boring :)

7 comments:

Beverly said...

Yay...those kids need Vonnie..you are a ray of sunshine..seriously, when you walked into that blogging party it seemed as if someone turned on the big light..I love it!!

Greetings From Tucson said...

Wow - you had quite a day! I'm glad that you decided to sub, and that it worked out well. Now, save up all that money for another trip to an exotic location!

Anonymous said...

What a day is right!

But I do have to agree, general ed is so boring. :-)

Life with Matthew is many things, but it is not dull.

Dina said...

vonnie, BLESS YOUR HEART!!! my sister is a EA for special ed, I hear stories DAILY, and its people like you ladies...that THEY need!! That job is not for ANYBODY, so thank you for taking care of the special children!!!

Aloha, Dina

Beverly said...

so...did you do it again?

Beverly said...

Dear Vonnie,
I miss you...
Love,
Beverly

Vonnie said...

Beverly,
Yes, I subbed all three days - for the same teacher. We had different problems each day with different kids. These kiddos do not know how to deal with frustration. One little boy told me on Friday that the day had gone by fast then he said the whole three days had gone by quickly. I said Thank you!
I miss you too